9 October 2014

Remembering Grandad on his birthday

It was my Grandad's birthday this week. He would have been 94. Although his name was Frank, he was always known as Jim. I have no idea why. No one seems to remember.

On Mum's bookshelf there are many pictures of him, which I will share over the coming months.

For his birthday, I'm going to put up one of my favourite photos of him.


Jim is about 8 years old and sitting in a garden in Ipswich. I don't know who Doug and Denis were - my Grandad was an only child. They have some charming metal toys which they are showing off to the camera. Two of them look like they might be in school uniform. The shadows look long, perhaps they were playing together in the garden after school one day when someone (my great grandad?) took a snap.

When I look at it, I see my own 7 year old boy in that  little boy with the big grin, captured on film in the late 1920s.

No comments:

Post a Comment